Snag a New Look Without Going Overboard
It seems like everyone's been talking about Erin from MTV's The City's bangs! These long, straight bangs, or, "blunt bangs" as they are called in the fashion and beauty world are the newest runway and celebrity trend. Major Hollywood celebrities like Kate Hudson, Jessica Alba, and Leighton Meester have all been spotted sporting the new look.
Is This Hairstyle for You?
Blunt bangs are perfect for you if you want to add style and edge to a basic look, without making a huge, dramatic change. Celebrity hair stylist Nicholas Penna, Jr. says that while long bangs look best with straight, even hair, they can be rocked by almost anyone when done right! Whether your hair is long, short, curly, or straight, blunt bangs are the this season's most popular (and, surprisingly manageable) hairstyle.
Tips for Do it Yourself Gorgeous Bangs
- Find a good pair of hair scissors. In a recent interview with Allure Magazine, celebrity hairstylist Mark Townsend recommends hair shears instead of regular scissors because they have super thin blades, perfect for snipping away just precisely at the bangs.
- With dry hair, gently pull down on the front section that you want to be bangs and hold them with your thumb pointing upright. (Be careful not to pull too tight - your hair will naturally spring up a little!)
- Start off slow. Snip away tiny pieces at first and see how you like it. You can always snip more, but you can never snip less!
- Leave the layers around your temples slightly longer than the rest of the hair for a natural looking shape.
Hair Products and Tools to Perfect the Look
- For fine hair, add in a tiny dab of volumizer.
- For frizzy hair, spray hair spray on an eyebrow brush and gently comb the bangs. (Kenra Volume Spray has been our number one selling product for weeks!)
- Townsend also recommends using the Hai Elite Tong Ionic Flat Iron. It's the perfect iron because it curves a bit and, "Your bangs get a nice bend, rather than lying totally flat as they would with a normal iron."
- A similar, slightly more affordable flat iron is the Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium Flat Iron, which also has the curved plate for the bend effect.
The best part about bangs, if you don't like them, they will always grow back! Bella Sugar gives some great tips on how to grow out your bangs. But because we love this hairstyle so much, we have a feeling you won't need them!